We have had some recent questions concerning when we plan to reopen the church. Just after we made our announcement over a month ago, Bishop Sue Haupert-Johnson and the cabinet of the North Georgia Conference issued a strong recommendation that all churches in North Georgia should remain closed until at least Monday June 22. At this point we will abide by this recommendation.
Over the past several weeks, the Executive Council has begun discussing steps toward reopening using guidelines from federal, state, and the CDC. We are reviewing all information distributed by the Bishop and North Georgia Conference office and other trusted sources.
Pastor Charles has established a health and welfare subcommittee to assist with the development of procedures to assure our compliance with established guidelines. As the proposal is developed, the Trustees, Staff Parish, and Finance Committees will be included. Lastly, the Executive Council will make a reopening proposal to the Church Council. The Council of course has the authority to accept, reject or modify this proposal.
Currently these are things we will do, are in the process of doing, or have done.
- Purchased items such as masks, hand sanitizer, sanitizer for all surfaces, gloves, face shields, inferred thermometers, and disposable gowns.
- The Trustees have sought consultation of air quality engineering firm to recommend things we can do to improve our air quality inside our building.
- And Under the recommendation of the Executive Council and the Trustees, this past Sunday the Church Council unanimously approved the purchase, and installation of the equipment we will need to live-stream our worship services going forward.
Lastly, please understand that our ability to reopen will depend on a wide variety of factors. One of the biggest factors is securing enough volunteers to serve in positions we have never had to fill. Based on guidelines, conversations with other pastors, and Pastor Charles’ own research, initially we could need twenty or more volunteers for any worship service or major event we have. As we begin this very detailed and thorough process of reopening, please be in prayer for the staff, the lay leadership, our Kingswood Family and the Dunwoody community, that every decision we all make will be the right decision for each of us individually and collectively.